Skip to main content

Giada's Chicken Piccata

***This dish is not only pretty...it is delicious! It had been awhile since I've made one of Giada's recipes, so I thought I'd give this one a go. I've been wanting to try capers...I'd never had them before making this. I was worried that Brad wouldn't like them, but this actually turned out to be one of his favorite meals! I'll no doubt be making this one again.


After reading the reviews on http://www.foodnetwork.com/, I found that a number of people thought the 1/3 cup lemon juice was too much. I only used the juice of 1 medium lemon...I'm not sure how that compares to 1/3 cup, but it turned out perfect! It had a mild, lemony (is that a word?) taste without being over-powering.***

In the skillet...



Ingredients:
2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour, for dredging
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped


Directions:
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and brown both sides in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.

Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.


Source: Giada De Laurentiis - http://www.foodnetwork.com/

Comments

Liz said…
I tried this recipe but thought it was just ok. A reader told me I should try flattening my chicken next time, like you did. The photo looks delicious! You've inspired me to give it another try :)
Anonymous said…
This looks great! The sauce especially looks delicious. My favorite recipe for chicken piccata so far is from Cooking Light -- "Chicken Piccata with Capers"-- but might have to give this one a try. I like serving this dish with large caper berries and lemon slices on the side to add some color, too.
Anonymous said…
I love this recipe. It is so easy, as advertised and very tasty. I addes sun-dried tomatos and abit of garlic the second time I prepared it and it was a nice addition but not necessary. Simple can be delious!
--
Miss Joan said…
I make this regularly. Elegant and delicious. I add white wine to sauce and deglaze. I put browned chicken in a warm covered dish as I cook it and pour the finished sauce over the chicken. I let it sit while I cook vermicelli. Serve with green veggie or a small side salad. Delicious.
Celeste said…
Miss Joan - So happy to hear it's one of your favorites!

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out