Skip to main content

Paula Deen's Squash Casserole

***In my opinion, side dishes don't get much better or certainly...comforting!...than a cheesy casserole. This recipe has comfort food written all over it...After all, what Paula Deen recipe doesn't? Plus, this dish is super easy!

Squash is one of Brad's favorite veggies, and we recently came across some beautiful, fresh squash at a local store. I couldn't help but grab some up! I found this recipe by Paula online, and I knew it sounded fabulous. I didn't have the exact ingredients on-hand, but I made some substitutes that ended up being perfect (my changes are in orange below). For example, instead of sour cream, I used mayonnaise...Plus, I changed the amounts and varieties of cheeses just a little bit. One of my favorite cheeses recently is a scrumptious Gruyere...I have yet to taste something with Gruyere in it that I didn't love. It added a wonderful taste to this casserole and a divine depth of flavor.

This recipe is sure to remind you of your Grandmother's cooking...it's THAT good! This is also a recipe that you'll go back to time and time again...I can definitely see it making a beautiful addition to your Thanksgiving spread this year.

Bon Appetit!!

Ingredients: 
6 cups large diced yellow squash and zucchini  (I did not have zucchini on hand)
Vegetable oil 
1 large onion, chopped 
4 Tbsp butter 
1/2 cup sour cream (I used mayonnaise instead) 
1 tsp House seasoning, recipe follows
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese 
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese 
1 cup crushed Ritz crackers (I had to use bread crumbs)

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Saute the squash in a little vegetable oil over medium-low heat until it has completely broken down, about 15 to 20 minutes. 

Line a colander with a clean paper towel. Place the cooked squash in the lined colander. Squeeze excess moisture from the squash. Set aside. 

In a medium size skillet, saute the onion in butter for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and mix all ingredients together except cracker crumbs. 

Pour mixture into a buttered casserole dish and top with cracker crumbs. 

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. 

House Seasoning: 
1 cup salt 
1/4 cup black pepper 
1/4 cup garlic powder 

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months. 

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Comments

Half Baked said…
Mmmmm that's my kinda casserole!
Christy said…
Goodness that looks delicious!! (said with my best Paula Deen imitation!) :-)
You can never miss with cheese...lol
Maryanna said…
I've had this before, and it is soooo good. It reminds me of lunches and dinners at my grandmother's house.
test it comm said…
This sounds nice and sweet and creamy and so good!
Ciber said…
I've been following your blog for quite a while and enjoying your wealth of good recipes. When Foodista announced that they are going to publish the best food blogs in a full color book that will be published by Andrews McMeel Publishing Fall 2010, I naturally thought of you. This recipe would be a good submission! You can enter here: http://www.foodista.com/blogbook/submit

Cheers,
Melissa

melissa@foodista.com
Editor and Community Developer
Foodista.com -- The Cooking Encyclopedia Everyone Can Edit
Anonymous said…
This looks delish and want to make for Thanksgiving but it doesn't say how many servings?
Colleen Sutherlin said…
I just made this with fresh squash from our garden and my husband and I love it
Anonymous said…
I made this delicious casserole today. I used the cooking method from this recipe and the ingredients from Paula Deen's original recipe. I liked the idea of sauteing the squash not stewing it since I prefer my food with a little bit of crunchy edges on it. I also had a ½ can of organic corn in my refrigerator so I added that and sauteed it with my onions.
Since I am growing my own zucchini this year I will be making this quite a bit.
Thanks for sharing this recipe and for the options that you had in it that you used.
Marcy Thomas said…
Oh my goodness! I made this last night with the Gruyere cheese AND a little mozarella. I also didn't cook the squash until it was broken down. It was still somewhat chunky. Everyone LOVED it! We all decided your recipe is from now on our favorite squash casserole! Thank you!!
Kathryn said…
I just finished making this for dinner with all my garden Squash, it tastes even better than it looks!! OMG best squash dish I have ever made!!!!
Lizspiz said…
Is this a mixture of yellow squash and zucchini squash or just yellow? Picture looks like yellow only.
Unknown said…
Do you peel the squash?
Anonymous said…
You can be sure if it’s Paula Deen’s Recipe, it is a heart stopper,! It may be comfort food but sooner or later all that good stuff will get you. And I don’t mean in a good comfortable way.
Anonymous said…
This looks great. But the yellow text against this color background almost blinded me
Nancy Snider said…
Best squash casserole I've ever eaten!

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out