Skip to main content

A Fabulous Blueberry Buckle


We just can't get enough blueberries around here lately!  We've bought huge buckets of them at the farmer's market the past two times we've been, so I've had to come up with different ways to use the perfect little berries full of blue summer deliciousness.

I know, I know...sounds like such a terrible predicament.  ;-)

I saw a photo of a Blueberry Buckle while perusing blueberry recipes, and it made me stop in my tracks.  It sounded like perfection - A rich, moist cake batter packed full of so many blueberries that there's probably more berry than actual cake, with a streusel topping made of cinnamon, butter and light brown sugar sprinkled over the top.  Oh MY goodness, folks.

Blueberry muffins are one of my weaknesses, and this cake is so much like a huge blueberry muffin in cake form.  It's quite wonderful!

After making this dessert, I got to wondering why it's called a "buckle." As it turns out, the cake batter rises up around the blueberries as it bakes, encasing the fruit in batter and causing the streusel topping to buckle, which creates a distinctive crinkly appearance.  Other people say that it's called a "buckle" because when you see it, your knees buckle because it looks so delicious!

Either way, this recipe is a definite keeper.  

Bon Appetit, and HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY, my friends!  I hope your day today is filled with lots of great food, family, fun and fireworks! :)






Blueberry Buckle
Source:  Laura's Sweet Spot blog
Adapted from ”The New Best Recipe” By Cooks Illustrated
Serves: 8

Ingredients:
Streusel:
1/2 cup (2.5 oz) all purpose flour
1/3 cup packed (3/5 oz) light brown sugar
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces and softened 
Cake:
1 1/2 cups (7.5 oz) all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
10 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup (4 2/3 oz) granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, room temperature
20 oz (4 cups) blueberries

Directions:
For the Streusel:
Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, combine flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt on low speed until well combined and no large brown sugar clumps remain, about 45 seconds. Add butter; beat on low speed until mixture resembles wet sand and no large butter pieces remain, about 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer to bowl; set aside.

For the Cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease and flour a 9″ round cake pan.

Whisk flour and baking powder together in bowl; set aside. Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat butter, sugar, salt, and zest on med-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down bowl as necessary. Beat in vanilla until combined, about 30 seconds. With mixer on medium speed, add eggs 1 at a time; beat until partially incorporated, scrape down bowl, and continue to beat until fully incorporated (mixture will appear broken). With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture; beat until flour is almost fully incorporated, about 20 seconds. Stir batter with rubber spatula, scraping bowl, until no flour pockets remain and batter is homogeneous; batter will be very heavy and thick. Gently fold in blueberries until evenly distributed.

Transfer batter to pan. Spread batter evenly to pan edges and smooth surface. Squeeze portion of streusel in hands to form a large cohesive clump; break up clump with fingers and sprinkle streusel evenly over batter. Repeat with remaining streusel.

Bake until cake is deep golden brown and toothpick comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and let cool.
Pin It

Comments

I Found you through FoodBlogSouth. I see your a Trussville gal too!
Celeste said…
Hi Debra!! Are you going to the conference in 2013? I hope to see you there!
jess said…
I'm sorry but waht is a Tb?
Celeste said…
Hi Jess! Thanks for your comment. 1 Tb = 1 tablespoon. I've updated the recipe to read "Tbsp" instead. :)
Harveygirl said…
Delicious!! My family loves it.. Thanks
Celeste said…
Harveygirl - So happy you tried it. I made this over the weekend, myself. It's a summer tradition. :)
Gilly said…
Thank you for your great Method explanation, times and what to use. I'm teaching my grandchildren to bake, I'm going to let them read it and do it themselves this time, I bet I won't get any questions. I will also be adding this to a recipe file I'm creating for each of them.
Anonymous said…
What is approximate baking time?

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out